Sunday, October 16, 2011

TWC Session 8

Too many theories exist on how we consume energy but too little effort is made to put this theories into action. Surprising as it is, a small country like Singapore has been condemned over how our people consume energy. If the world is to consume like every Americans and Singaporean, our resources for energy will run out within 9years. The clock is ticking, to dooms day slightly faster thanks to us. Even as I type this blog entry. I am running on a 27 inch desktop screen. Seating inside the comfort of my air conditioned room, without the motivation of even switching off the aircon and turning on the fan. Am part of the condemned. =(

This session marks my presentation day. I decided to approach the topic of energy differently. I see the world as people constantly looking for more supplies of energy. Then I ask myself, is there other means of obtaining more energy rather than looking for more supply? My answer came with Natural Capitalism. The idea of this concept, when placed simply, is to look into the our demands for energy before looking into the supply. The argument of this concept, tries to bring off that the world actually has enough energy to sustain the rate at which we are consuming, in fact more, but, mankind is simply not smart enough to fully utilise the full potential of the energy. As a result, wastage.

This is clearly in line with what Prof mentioned within his presentation that man are not fully utilising our resources with current technology. Idea of the amount of energy, shining on the surface of the Earth for 1hour, is enough to power our society for probably a year! Amazing, isn't it?

Why haven't we harnessed this vast amount of power?
My answer: Incentive. People are simply incentive driven, the issue here is why me? Why not him? or her? Hardly anyone wants to move off from our comfort zone. I believe the day will come only when we finally run out of supply, then we will be quick to adapt to change due to a lack of choice.

I feel that this should be discussed further.

No comments:

Post a Comment